Sunday, July 16, 2006

A new bike, a bike ride, and a plane crash




A New Bike
After shopping around for a few days of shopping around, I was finally able to find a bike shop the carried a ladies frame hybrid bike large enough for a 6' tall women. The Bike Gallery on Canyon and Hall and specifically the salesman Eric were great! Eric spent a total of about 3 hours with me over 2 days fitting me for a bike and getting me the right accessories to get started. I ended up with a Trek 7200, a helmet, gloves, lock, and a repair kit.

A Bike Ride
On Saturday I rode my bike a little bit around the apartment complex and general area to get a feel for it but at dinner that evening at Raquel and Chad's house (fajitas that were very yummy!), they invited me to go along on their Sunday bike ride on Sauvie Island. The ride was about 12 miles long, the weather was perfect, and the road was nice and flat for those of us that haven't ridden a bike in about 15 years :) They also lent me "Recreational Rides around Portland" and Jim bought me "Off-Street Paved Bike Paths in Oregon" so I have tons of options for my next bike ride.

and a Plane Crash
After getting home from the bike ride and doing a little grocery shopping, I was nicely settled on the couch and all ready to take a nap when I hear all kinds of sirens and my phone starts ringing. It turns out that one of the jets from the Hillsboro Air Show crashed into a house about a mile from my apartment complex! Of course Jim and I walked towards the big plume of black smoke to see what was going on but the police wouldn't let us get very close. According to the news, the pilot died in the crash but nobody on the ground was hurt. Its scary how close it was!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home